Thursday, February 16, 2012

Free Tutorial: Sliding Knot Adjustable Bracelet

Bracelets are the accessory item of the year and nothing is hotter right now than bracelets made with cording. You can create hip, chic bracelets with a few art beads, some accent beads and cotton cord. These are quick and easy to make and oh-so-cute! I'm going to be showing you step-by-step how to create a sliding knot adjustable closure that can be used for a bracelet or even a necklace, if you so choose. My version shown here is a slight variation of the sliding knot technique you typically see. This one is much simpler! You can make these bracelets with any beads you like.
 Sweet Slide bracelets

Here's what you need for the Sweet Slide bracelets:

To make your bracelet, cut a piece of cord about 24 inches long. String and/or knot your beads on as desired, making sure to leave at least a 4 inch tail on each end of your bracelet.

Now, you're ready to create your sliding closure!
1. Cut a separate 12" piece of cord and fold the cord back onto itself about 4". This will be your "working" cord.

2. Place the left and right bracelet cords parallel to each other with the ends in opposite directions.

3. Place the working cord on top of the bracelet cords. Hold the folded end with the short tail end in the opposite direction.

4. Loosely wrap the working cord around the bracelet cords and the tail of the working cord.

5. Make 5 wraps, moving towards the tail end of your working cord.

6. Insert the working cord through the wraps you just made, exiting the folded end.

7. Pull the ends of your working cord tight, but not super tight or you won't be able to move your bracelet cords back and forth. If desired, add some beads to the working cord tails and trim.

8. Add a few more beads to the bracelet cords, knot, trim and you're done! Be sure to leave the bracelet tails long enough to slip your hand through when the bracelet is all the way open.

I hope you enjoy the tutorial!

 Erin Siegel is a jewelry designer, beading instructor and co-author of the forth-coming jewelry book, Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry: 50 Designs Using Leather, Ribbon and Cords.
To find out more, visit her blog, Erin Siegel Jewelry.

26 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

OMG - this is awesome! I was just saying to a girlfriend yesterday that I wanted to learn how to make the slide wrap knot. Thank you so much for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! For the life of me, I could not remember how to do this last summer....now I can!!!

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I have wanted to use cording, but did not know where to begin! Cute bead selection, too!

mirsini's creations said...

So simple but beautiful bracelets!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!! Love these golden small beads!!!! :o)

sandi m said...

Great tutorial!
Thanks Erin.

Gaea said...

OH! They are beautiful and so versatile! I would want to wear them by the dozen!

Kat said...

Very very cute, thanks for the tutorial. I will definitely like to make one of these with my stash of beads.

Anindita Basu said...

Thank you. Many times I wondered how it is done. Now it is at my finger tips. Will try it right now. Dita

http://www.alankarshilpa.etsy.com
http://www.alankarshilpa.blogspot.com

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh! I have always wondered how that is done. This is great, Miss Erin! I suspect that more wonderful tutorials like this will be in your forthcoming book, right? I can't wait! I am excited to learn this technique. Thank you for sharing it. Off to find some cord to play with!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Melinda Orr - BANDANA GIRL said...

Thanks...I never really knew how to do this! Perfect tutorial! Shared on my fb ~

Mixed Kreations said...

I'm been wondering how to make the sliding link. Thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial.
I just want to let you know that I did a little write up on your tutorial on my blog and linked it back to you. You can find it here MixedKreations.com/blog

Thanks again for the wonderful tutorial.
Linda

Cindy said...

Erin, what a great, easy to follow tutorial. I would love to give this a try! Thanks for sharing with us!

LisaS said...

Great tutorial. Thank you!

Neena Shilvock said...

great and easy to follow tutorial - thanks, I always wanted to learn this technique

Cathie Carroll said...

So simple and so pretty!
Great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

I just made a bracelet using this tutorial, thank you for sharing it!

Stacey said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! Love the bracelet. I have a ton of recycled glass bead that would work wonderfully with this style !

Denise said...

great tip for that fancy slider knot ... I had used it on some necklaces but will now try it on bracelets!!

Anonymous said...

This is so much easier than the way I learned to do it. Thanks so much for posting the tut.

Aki said...

Thank you so much for the great tutorial! I really love it and wearing everyday!

LadyMLivelyStones said...

YES.... I LOVE this slider knot! Thanks for this SUPER EASY Tutorial.

LadyMLivelyStones said...

YES...I LOVE this slider knot! Thanks for this SUPER EASY Tutorial.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this awesome tutorial! :)

GUADALUPE GONZALEZ ROMERO said...

Muchas gracias por el tutorial¡¡¡

LindyLaine said...

I've just spent my morning trying to figure out how to do this... wish I'd seen this post first! Thank you, going to try this out :)

Anonymous said...

I have just one question. Every time I try to finish my cotton cord necklaces with these knots, the necklace ends up crossed. I mean to say that it doesn't simply hang straight; the cords have a single twist in them -- a bit like the familiar "awareness ribbon" shape. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, JG