Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jewelry Designer Interview - Kim Roberts of Bahama Dawn

I chose to interview Kim Roberts of Bahama Dawn, it's a jewelry designer interview but Kim does so much more than design jewelry. She is lucky enough to live on Abaco Island in the Bahamas. After reading the interview be sure to check out here blog to see all of the fun things shes creates. You won't believe everything she does, I wonder if she ever sleeps.....

JH: What is your personal name, business name, website and location?
KR: Kimberly Roberts, BahamaDawn. I have a website which is http://www.bahamadawn.com/; and a blog which is http://www.bahamadawn.blogspot.com/. From my blog you can go to my flickr site as well, where there are alot of jewelry pictures.

I also have an Etsy store, but it takes me forever to get images uploaded so there is not alot there - http://www.bahamadawn.etsy.com/.JH: What kind of jewelry do you make? What types of materials do you prefer? what kinds of art beads do you use?
KR:nMy jewelry consists of metal smithing, flame working, wire working, stained glass and ceramic pieces. I prefer metal and glass for materials, but sometimes like to incorporate other items like embroidered pieces sandwiched between glass. I also love to bezel sea glass for components in my jewelry. I love to experiment! I also try to make most, if not all of my components. Working with copper and stamping on it for focals is another love of mine. The metal stamping is great therapy also!

Most art beads are my own pieces, but I love using Jangles pieces and Gaea's pieces - both ceramic artists.
JH: How did you get into jewelry design? What are some of the important things you do for your business?
KR:I got into jewelry making a few years back when the Ministry of Tourism, here in Abaco, hosted several classes. One was wire working, then there was a class teaching us how to make beads from sand, and another one was a class that taught us how to use pieces from the coconut shell. I still love to use the coconut shell, but it can be extremely messy.

Some of the most important things I do for my business are: 1. advertising locally and attending local art shows- here in Abaco we have alot of second homeowners that buy alot of local art. So letting this group know what I am up to is important. 2. Updating my blog - this keeps people who like my work current with what I am doing and what is new with my work. 3. Facebook - I dont have a "fan" page but keep my photos current with my artwork has been a great advertising tool and I have sold alot this way.
JH: What is your workspace like and how do you work in your studio? What is a typical day like?
KR: My workspace is usually pretty chaotic! My jewelry making shares a space with my quilting. Two separate work stations, but in the same room. A typical day starts with me checking my list of work to see what I need to start with. I like to do my flame working first thing in the morning, so I have time to anneal them before the day is out.
JH: How do you stay inspired and motivated?
KR: This is probably one of the biggest challenges as an artist!! One thing that keeps me inspired is trying to get involved in challenges and swaps. Two jewelry artists that have been a huge inspiration are Jennifer at Jangles and Kerry from KABS Concepts. I have both of their books and look at them almost daily!
JH: What kinds of art beads do you look for? Is there a bead you wish an artist would make for you?
KR: My favorite art beads are glass or ceramic. I guess I keep going back to the ceramic, because it is a medium I have worked with since I was about 7 years old. I would love to see an artbead made with a mermaid on it!
JH: What beady plans do you have for the future? Do you have new designs or ideas you will be exploring soon?
KR: Even thought I have done a lot of ceramic work, I am playing with making focals and beads from clay. It is a learning experience since most of my clay work has been on big pieces, like platters and bowls. I am practicing more detailed glass beads and would love to be able to make some underwater themed ones at some point. Since I love mermaids so much I am sure there will be something mermaid-y soon! Enameling is something I would love to try sometime, since I love all the pieces I have seen.
JH: Thanks for a great interview Kim!

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Thanks for introducing us to her! I love how she combines materials. When will you have an open studio so that we can come and visit? ;-)
Thanks for inspiring us today.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Miss Val's Creations said...

Wow. Those classes working with sand and cocnut shell sound so cool! There aren't any like that where I am.