Monday, July 23, 2007

Art Formed From Earth, Transformed by Fire

Our very own Melanie Brooks Lukacs was recently published in the August 2007 issue of Simply beads - Yeah!!! Way to go Melanie. Though she appears several places in the magazine - this blog focuses on her incredible article about Ceramic Beads.

Melanie began the journey of writing this article quite a while ago and the time and care put into the article shows as she explains how porcelain, stoneware and earthenware clays are used to make fired beads and pendants. There are many, many examples in the magazine but I wanted to show you some right here that coincide with our monthly challenge theme of Mermaid's Grotto.

Porcelain examples:




Stoneware examples:







Earthenware examples:






Make sure you check out this issue of Simply Beads to see Melanie's other submissions!

- Elaine

2 comments:

brokenteepee said...

I did read this article and found it to be very interesting. I learned about yet another type of bead I can use in my jewelry making. My poor budget.... :)
Patty
Broken Teepee

Elaine Ray said...

Good luck with your new home - it looks like a fascinating adventure!

Thanks for comment,
Elaine